What is Youthreach?
Youthreach is a programme of education, training and work experience for early school leavers provided in an out-of school setting. (To find out more about Youthreach nationally, please click here).
Youthreach is co-funded by the Irish Government and the European Social Fund and the Youth Employment Initiative as part of the ESF Programme for Employability Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.
What are the aims of Youthreach?
Youthreach aims to give young people:
- A second chance to gain education and training
- A chance to develop new skills
- A chance to gain national certification and to progress to further education or training
- A chance to find employment
Who is it for?
You can apply to join Youthreach if you are:
- Aged between 16 and 21
- Have left school early with either no qualifications or minimal qualifications
- Six months out of school
What will Youthreach cost me?
Courses are provided free of charge and a weekly training allowance is paid. Meal and travel allowances are also paid.
What is the programme?
A foundation phase, normally a year, develops the skills essential for further learning.
QQI Level 3
- Skills Based
- Literacy and Numeracy Skills/Support
- Art, Catering, Engineering Focus
- Social and Personal Development
- Life skills
- Art and Crafts
A progression phase after that, which allows for further development through education, training and work experience options. These are Leaving Certificate Applied and Further Education and Training Awards Council.
QQI Level 4
- Represents a progression from Level 3 and is more challenging
- Literacy and Numeracy Skills Development and Support
- Art and Engineering Focus
- Task/Project Base
- Fast Food catering
- Information Technology Skills
- Work Experience
- 2 Year Whole-Time Programme
- 90% Attendance necessary
- Challenging Programme requiring commitment
- QQI / Junior Cert Level preferable at entry but not essential
- Vocational Preparation – this includes 8 weeks work experience over the two years
- English and Communications
- Information Technology
- Leisure and Recreation
- Social Education
- 1 Modern Language (for example either German or French)
- Hotel, Catering and Tourism
- Craft and design, Office Administration and Customer Care and Engineering (These change from year to year)