Located in the heart of Waterford City, WCFE offers the largest range of Further Education courses in the South East. Over the past ten years, the College has increased its enrolment from 275 to 859 day time and in excess of 1100 night time students, in the current academic year. This reflects the College’s excellent reputation for providing high quality courses leading directly to employment or third-level education. Our state of the art facilities and motivated teaching staff allow us to provide you with the opportunity to pursue your personal and academic goals. We welcome students of all ages, abilities and nationalities and promise to provide you with a learning environment which is both innovative and supportive.
WCFE graduates enjoy professional qualifications certified and accredited by national and internationally recognised examining and professional bodies.
|Principal||Mr Gerard Morgan|
|Deputy Principal||Mr Michael Normoyle|
|Address||Parnell Street, Waterford, X91 VKT9|
The Adult Access VTOS Department in Waterford College of Further Education delivers interesting, worthwhile and relevant courses to adults.
Course Delivery and Facilities
These courses are delivered in groups dedicated to adults as part of a larger college and give students access to a broad range of facilities including canteen, gym, library, common room, student cards, and open access computer rooms. Importance is given to fun and enjoyment with student activities organised throughout the year.
Qualifications and Progression
Some students come to the course to improve their existing qualifications but many choose to change career direction. Many graduates move directly into employment, and many move on to further education, both within the college and to third level.
Successful students can achieve worthwhile level 5 FETAC QQI certifications, on courses that are constantly evolving and changing to meet the needs of the students and potential employers, in two main areas:
This course enables students explore the broad area of social care. It facilitates students to progress into further studies – either within the college or third level – or can lead directly into the workplace. Students can achieve one of the following certificates:
- Community Care 5M2786 This course is designed to direct the student towards direct community based care. Students who successfully complete this course will have skills to work and support clients within a client’s home or in community based settings and projects, including youth work.
- Health Service Skills 5M3782 This course is designed to enable students to seek employment in community and regional hospitals, residential homes, retirement facilities and in clients’ own homes. Care for vulnerable adults and the elderly is an important element of this course.
- Healthcare Support 5M4339 This course provides students with the knowledge and experience to obtain employment in the health services, hospitals, nursing homes or in the community
- Community Health Services 5M4468 The students who complete this course will be comfortable in caring and working with a range of service users, ranging from early years up to caring for the older person in the community.
- Early Childhood Care and Education 5M2009 This course prepares students to work with young children in a variety of childcare settings including as special needs assistants. Among the many options, students may choose to become advocates or work with disadvantaged families. In addition, students will be well equipped to set up an early years’ provision in their homes as those who wish to run their own business can choose an enterprise component. Students can proceed to Level 6 Supervision in Childcare certification within the college.
- Nursing Studies. This course offers a practical and theoretical introduction to the world of nursing, community care and health related careers.
These courses give the student a solid foundation in the academic, practical and personal skills required for a career in the business area. It also enables students to progress to further education or training.
- Business with Marketing. This will provide students with a broad range of skills required for a career in the marketing environment.
- Business with Sport and Recreation Management. This is a business course with emphasis on sports management. Combined with sports and recreation components, this mainly business course gives participants a foundation in general sport and recreation management.
- Business with Construction Technology This course will give those with experience and knowledge of construction trades and crafts, additional practical business skills to further their careers or run their own business. Combined with construction technology components, such as CAD and materials science, this course will cover payroll, taxation, book-keeping, marketing and finance.
- Business with Accountancy This general business has been expanded to include book-keeping, accountancy taxation, spreadsheets, and payroll. Graduates are in a position to progress to third level or the Accounting Technician qualification.
- Business for Sole Traders Along with essential skills such as payroll, book-keeping, taxation, business administration, marketing and desktop publishing, emphasis is placed on developing customer facing skills. Participants can avail of a start your own business component.
- Business with Legal Studies This course combines business with legal studies to prepare students to work in the legal area as secretaries or to progress to further education in the legal area.
- Business with Language and European Studies This course is designed for those who have knowledge of a second language, especially for those for whom English is not their first language. We also prepare students for the IELTS qualification.
- General Studies This course is designed to prepare adults for third level study with special emphasis of the study and research skills required.
Participants who choose the business course can achieve one of the following QQI Level 5 qualifications:
- Business Administration 5M2468
- Information Processing 5M2067
- Office Administration 5M1997
- Business Studies 5M2012
- Marketing 5M2069
- General Studies 5M3114
- Sports and Recreation 5M5146
- Language and European Studies 5M2073
- Legal Studies 5M3789
Along with the main components, learners can participate in workshops that enhance their college experience and expand their employment opportunities. These workshops include: study skills, career planning, health related fitness, entrepreneurship, customer facing skills, interview preparation, personal care, presentation skills, team working, conflict resolution, occupational first aid, manual handling, drama, complementary therapies and hair care for carers.
Learner and English Language Support
Special attention is given to supporting those who have been out of the education system for some time with individually designed tutorials.
In addition, English language lessons and English for speakers of other Languages (ESOL) are integral parts of the course for those who require the extra support. Students, for whom English is not their first language, can also avail of preparation for IELTS, which prepares them for entry to the workplace and third level education.
You can apply in two ways
- online using www.wcfe.ie and go to and then Adult Access (VTOS) from the Main Menu
- Contact VTOS office using one of the contacts below and we will send you an application form
Please telephone the VTOS office to discuss any queries that you may have.
Courses and components may be changed to suit learners’ needs, certification requirement, resources available and numbers applying.
Cairein Phillips (Acting VTOS co-ordinator) Mary Kenny (Administrator)
Adult Access Department
Waterford College of Further Education
Phone: 051 874053
Fax: 051 870136
To download a PDF giving details of night-classes at the college, please click on the link below: